The Prince Edward Curling Club (PECC) is located in the town of Picton in picturesque Prince Edward County. The club is home to approximately 180 members and is 100% volunteer run.
Curling began in Prince Edward County in 1913. Community members interested in curling got together with members of the Agricultural Society and together they built a dual use facility on the fairgrounds. In the spring, summer and fall the barn was used to house horses as it was located beside the track, but in the winter, natural ice was installed and curling ensued.
This continued until the mid 1920’s when curling disappeared from the County, starting up again in the 1950’s, renting evening ice to curl at the local arena. In the early 1960’s, members of the club established a committee to investigate either building or renovating a facility dedicated to curling. The result is the current club which opened it’s doors in 1963 and has hosted curling ever since. In 2002, together with the Quinte Curling Club and the Stirling Curling Club, PECC helped host the Nokia Cup Ontario Men’s Curling Championship in Belleville.
Several notable additions and renovations have occurred to the club since it was first built. The kitchen and a dedicated compressor room were added to the club in the 1970’s, the locker rooms were renovated in the early 2000’s and an accessible ramp and washroom were constructed in 2014. In 2016 planning began to replace the refrigerated floor, and the project came to fruition in the summer of 2018 with club members donating over 2000 hours of volunteer labour and over $40,000 towards the $140,000 project. In 2020 the kitchen was renovated and brought up to standard for a commercial kitchen and in the same year the compressor room was insulated, new steel siding installed and all of the refrigeration equipment was replaced. The club operates daytime and evening leagues for members from late October until April each year and continues to invest any profits in projects to improve the facility.